Friday 2 August 2013

The Joy of Peaches!


I am soooo lucky that God gave me the love of all the wonderful foods he put on this planet for our nutrition and the health to enjoy it in all its variety. The enjoyment of great food is the most important thing in my life after Jim and Mom and Dad of course. I am lucky that they encourage me in the preparation and consumption of great meals too!

 One of the blessings of living in the Okanagon Valley is the summer fruit season. The cherries were awesome this year, succulent and 25 – 30 mm across. They are nearly over now, but the peaches are amazing! Apricots and apples, organic Pink Lady is the variety we like most just now, are going strong too. It’s just fantastic to get peaches straight off the tree and ripe to eat! Lots of veggies are around too – asparagus, salad turnips, broad beans, cauliflower and loads more are just great right now.

 

The heat has been terrible here for the last two weeks. About 32C which I hate. I try to stay indoors as much as possible and I make up ice cold milk shakes to drink. I take a litre of cold milk, add about 4 scoops of ice cream, add some ice cream sauce to flavour it and mix it with a hand held electric mixer. That cools me down for a while at least.
 
More later!  Big Hugz! Katie

5 comments:

  1. Hey Katie!

    I saw you in Revelstoke 2 weeks ago, on First St W. You were with 2 other girls and you were wearing a red shirt and blue pants. You didn't see me as I was on the other sidewalk.

    It was great to see you, even in the distance.

    All the best and hugs to you!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason!

    Great to hear from you after such a long time :) Remember when you used to take me out for meals?

    Sure I was in Revelstoke then. The two girls are daughters of one of our neighbours and they asked if I'd like to go with them. I kinda wished I hadn't afterwards, because it was a tight squeeze to fit in the front of Rachel's car and they kept on wanting to walk fast. I don't do fast LOL! It's a pretty town - City I think really - cool mountains, old buildings etc. It was MUCH too hot for me though! Had to stop at a café for ice creams!

    How are you doing?

    Hugz

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Glad you are happy, and keep blogging!
    The milkshake you posting sounds very tasty (and fattening, LOL). Hope it will not be so hot later, but you will keep getting out for more ice cream:)
    We both like fruits and ice cream too.
    We use fruits as a flavour for ice cream sometimes.
    Also we make a mixed salads often, combining fruits like apples with carrot, also add other things available here in Republic of Georgia like nectarines, apricots, raisins and so on.
    We had a fattening vacation recently - spent a whole week in Ajara, region of Georgia located at on Black Sea coast. Vacation was simple and great - we just ate a lot, slept, took sun baths - layed on the beach, and swim sometimes :)
    Olga surely gained few pounds, even i am gained a pound or two, lol.
    Greetings from Olga, hugs, and bon appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kostya :))

    Sounds like a GREAT vacation! Yes, we do mixed salads too - yummy! It sounds like you grow similar fruits there as we do in the Valley. Maybe its a similar climate there I guess. Had fresh peaches, blueberries and yoghurt as part of breakfast today.

    Love to Olga!

    Hugz

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!
    Georgia has quite different climate areas - from subtropical in Ajara to relatively cold in highlanded areas. Tbilisi region has a medium climate - mostly, climate is dryer than in Ajara, but hot winter can be combined with a cold and snowy winter. BTW i sitting naked in front of my laptop, and Olga knits, sitting naked in airbed we bought recently, so hot the weather these days, LOL. Nobody can see us at 12 floor anyway, heh.
    Olga got her first international sell, so she really knits most of the day now. While i got a short-term proect that has a quite tight schedule so i hasve ot wirk mre than 12 hours some days.
    Greetings, hugs, and bon appetite!
    Kostya & Olga

    ReplyDelete